Lost Your Medicaid Coverage? We’ll Help You Replace It With Affordable Health Insurance
During the pandemic, Medicaid coverage was automatically renewed for everyone who was enrolled in the program. But federal laws have changed. Starting March 31, 2023, all New Mexicans on Medicaid must take a few steps to renew and keep their coverage.
You might have gotten a text, email or letter in a turquoise envelope from the State of New Mexico Human Services Department (HSD). This was a notification to renew your Medicaid and see if you are still eligible.
It’s important to follow the steps to renew. If you don’t, you will not have healthcare coverage—and you could get stuck with a big bill if you get sick or injured.
Not sure whether you still qualify for Medicaid coverage? Need help replacing Medicaid? Don’t worry.
If you lost your Medicaid coverage and can’t get health insurance from your job, beWellnm makes it easy to get affordable health insurance. Our Certified Assisters can help you find low-cost or no-cost health coverage that works for your life and budget.
Do I Still Qualify for Medicaid?
Medicaid eligibility is based on a lot of factors, including income. To qualify for Medicaid in New Mexico, you must be:
- A resident of the state of New Mexico
- A U.S. national, citizen, permanent resident or immigrant
- In need of help to pay for health insurance
- Making low or very low income
And you must be at least age 65 or older, or be one of the following:
- Disabled, or have a household family member with a disability
- Pregnant or responsible for a child younger than 18
The best way to know if you still qualify for Medicaid is to complete your renewal. If HSD sent you a turquoise envelope in the mail, a text or an email (check your SPAM folder!), complete your renewal to find out if you are still eligible for Medicaid.
Not sure if you got a renewal notification from HSD? Call HSD at 800-283-4465 to find out what you need to do.
How Do I Renew My Medicaid?
If you did NOT get an email, text or turquoise letter from HSD, follow these steps:
- Update your email address, mailing address or phone number with HSD. Use this link to give your contact information.Or update your contact information through chat.
- Watch for your turquoise letter, text or email alert. This is your sign to renew. If your renewal date is close, call 800-283-4465.
- Renew your coverage. Sign in to the HSD website with your username and password. Then, click Renew My Benefits.
Did you already get an email, text or turquoise letter from HSD? If you did, you can simply follow Step 3 above. Sign in to the HSD website, the click Renew My Benefits.
If you forgot your username or password, go to account recovery and follow the instructions to reset your account.
If you no longer qualify for Medicaid, you will be automatically redirected to beWellnm to find a low-cost or no-cost health insurance plan.
Questions? Call HSD at 800-283-4465 or watch this HSD video for helpful tips.
What If I Don’t Qualify for Medicaid Anymore?
You will need to replace Medicaid with health insurance if you are no longer eligible for Medicaid. With beWellnm, you can find low- or no-cost health insurance options—your first month could cost $0! For eligible New Mexicans, your first month Your first the first month’s premium is paid by beWellnm as you transition from Medicaid
Here are four ways to get started with beWellnm and avoid a gap in health insurance coverage:
- Talk with a Certified Assister. Our beWellnm insurance experts are standing by to answer your questions about replacing Medicaid. Schedule a no-cost appointment today.
- Attend an enrollment event. Sign up for an event in your area.
- Shop for a plan online. Use our Shop and Compare Plans tool to find the coverage you need. Have questions? Call us at 833-862-3935 or chat with us online.
- Enroll in a plan. Once you find the right plan, you can sign up online or over the phone. It’s that easy!
Reminder: Once you transition off of Medicaid to a new plan with beWellnm, inform your current doctor of your new healthcare plan.
Health Insurance 101: How to Enroll With beWellnm
Use these tips to enroll in a health insurance plan today.
Special Note for Native Americans
If you are a Native American living in New Mexico, you could save hundreds of dollars on a high-quality health insurance plan. Half of New Mexicans pay $50 or less per month for high-quality health plans.
With beWellnm, you can keep seeing your Indian Health Service or Tribal Health Center doctors. When insurance pays for your care, it gives those clinics money to care for your neighbors—it’s a win-win! What’s more, you may be able to get a no-cost or limited-cost sharing plan to make insurance more affordable. Get more information about benefits for Native Americans.
Questions about replacing Medicaid? We can help you find the best plan. Call 833-862-3935 today or schedule an appointment to get help from a beWellnm Certified Assister.
Where do I begin?
With more than 56,000 uninsured New Mexicans who qualify for significant premium reductions, you may be one of them. Having the security of health insurance coverage may be more affordable than you think.